Club News

Current Articles | Archives | Search

06 April 2018
Message from the Commitee - outcome of EGM
By Eve McIlmoyle @ 13:04 :: 239 Views :: 0 Comments

Message from The Committee

Thank you to those members who attended the Extraordinary General Meeting on 3 April 2018, and thanks to those who gave their feedback ahead of the meeting. We are writing to you to confirm the main outcomes of the meeting.

Eve as Club Secretary introduced the meeting. The meeting was called as the committee had received questions from some members regarding the Club’s plans for diving and social events. At the AGM in November the membership agreed a revised model of dive trips based on members’ availability and the establishment of a group email mechanism for all members to contact each other. In addition members had agreed to contribute to planning dive trips and social events but as this had not progressed we called the EGM to make a decision regarding the future of the Club as the committee needs support from members for the Club to continue.


The key issues agreed at the EGM are:

Overwhelming support to continue The Diving Club providing both a dive and social programme with the overall aim of the Club being to provide opportunities to dive and socialise together.


Agreement to the issues addressed at the AGM that the Club requires the active commitment of members to support organising as well as attending both dive and social programmes for these to continue, and the need for all members to commit to take action now to achieve this.


Club to introduce an email messaging system using Google Group and the committee outlined how they expect this to work: all club members will be able to send emails to all members to promote available spaces on dives they are organising and/or to request expressions of interest to dives they are planning to get a group of divers together, which the Club could arrange booking and payment where appropriate.  


Dive organisers to use Doodle online poll to identify dates that members are available to dive and if achieve a core cohort, e.g. 4 people, dive organiser will seek availability on charter boats and schedule a trip. Then additional club members can book direct with charter if they wish to join the trip. 


Details of dives that members are booking direct or for other clubs, but can offer to Diving Club members, to be listed on Club website (with the contact person). We agreed for the committee will develop a process to ensure members have information about dives available from skippers via website and/or group email.


Agreed the website is an effective tool to recruit new members as well as supporting members.  We agreed to ensure dive and social events are listed and the website includes  information about the new model for dive planning.


Possibility of arranging overseas warm-water trips  at end of 2018 - e.g. Red Sea or Lanzarote/Malta



  • Roger to set up Google Group and send information to all club members
  • All members to send details of relevant dive bookings made to Martin/Roger
  • Martin/Roger to organise a way to make skipper  contact information available to membership  
  • Martin/Roger to update website with social calendar and dive calendar
  • Pam to contact Marine Conservation Society
  • Paul F to provide details of Mike Pitts to Eve
  • All members to send social ideas/contacts to Eve to ensure coordination of dates and committee approval for booking and financing.
  • All members to come to next meeting with options and ideas for overseas diving plans  
  • Paul F to explore Red Sea liveaboard options


Proposed social programme

  • 2 May – Marine Conservation Society or Mike Pitts photography (subject to availability) – Pam/Paul F/Eve to coordinate. Plus "open session" for all members to share details of planned dives
  • 6 June – Marine Conservation Society or Mike Pitts photography (see above)
  • 4 July – BBQ – committee & Antony to coordinate, all contribute
  • 1 Aug  - general social evening
  • Summer – MCS beach clean up events? Members to use Google Group emails to propose dates/seek volunteers
  • 5 Sep – to be confirmed
  • 21 Sep – Ocean Film Festival, Hexagon Theatre, Reading  – members book tickets direct at and members to meet for pre-show drink. Contact Eve if attending
  • 3 Oct – Photo competition – Roger & Clare to coordinate, with possible revised format
  • 7 Nov – AGM – committee will lead
  • 5 Dec - Christmas Party – committee to coordinate, all contribute


Kind regards

The Committee, The Diving Club


Only registered users may post comments.